Upgrading Spindle Document Management has three stages to the process: Back up, upgrade and test.
The first two are carried out on the server and the last stage is carried out on the client(s). The steps taken to upgrade the application is similar to installing the software. However, a slight complication arises when the components of Spindle Document Management are spread over more than one server. This can be the case when the SQL instance is on a different server.
A server migration in conjunction with an upgrade to Spindle Document Management will be more time consuming than simply installing or upgrading. Spindle Document Management is installed twice during the server-migration process.
Before upgrading Spindle Document Management , ensure the application isn’t in use. It is important you read this article prior to commencing with the upgrade.
- Spindle Document Management Server Installer.exe
- Spindle Document Management Client Installer.exe
- SQL SA credentials
- Server hostname / IP Address(s)
- Licence Key (up to Spindle Document Management v8.15) or Activation code (Spindle Document Management v8.16 and later)
Backups are compulsory as there is potential for data to become corrupt. Three components have to be backed up, all of which are typically found on the server(s). The three things are:
Browse to the server where the Spindle Document Capture Service is installed
Navigate to the folder C:\ProgramData\Draycir\Spindle Document Capture\Server\Data
1. The ProgramData folder may be hidden. Use Folder Options in Windows Explorer to show hidden files
2. The path will be different on an OS older than Windows Server 2008
3. Take a copy of the templates folder and all configuration files found within this directory
Backing up SQL Database
1. Use SQL Management Studio to logon to the SQL Server instance containing the SDC database ‘Draycir.SDC’
2. Right-click on the database and select Tasks > Backup…
3. On the ‘General’ page ensure the backup type if set to Full and that the database is set as ‘Draycir.SDC’
4. On the ‘General’ page set the backup location if required
5. On the ‘Options’ page ‘Check verify backup when finished’
6. Click ‘Ok’ to start the backup process
Backup of Archived Documents
1. Open Server Administration on the server and click on System Configuration
2. Click on Archive Locations. This will display the two paths you have chosen to archive your documents.
3. Browse to these paths and zip the parent directory
4. Copy the zipped folders to a secure location
Backup of Spindle Document Distribution
1. Open Spindle Document Distribution Tools and note the path set under User Settings>Options>Server
2. Browse to this location and back up the folder SpindlePro
First upgrade the server installation of SDC.
Once the installer has completed the upgrade, open Server Administration. If this upgrade is part of a server move, please go to the Database Details section and ensure that the SQL server name is correct.
After checking if the server is correct, click 'Migrate Data', this will Migrate the Document Capture database to the latest database schema.
Once this is migrated, open the Database Update utility located in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Draycir\Spindle Document Management\Spindle Document Distribution Server\Database Update.exe" on the server to update the Spindle Document Distribution database.
Next upgrade the client installation(s).
Testing the upgrade
Confirm the upgrade has been successfully by carrying out the following tasks:
1. Check the service is running
2. Capture a file from within Sage 200
3. Scan a file to the pending tray/document portal and check if you can open it
4. Search for documents that have been archived from both, Document Search and within Sage
5. Print a barcode from within Sage and scan it back in
6. Test the connections in service address on the server admin and service address on the client admin
Knowledge Base Article Details
|Related Product||Spindle Document Management v8, v9, v10|
|Original Author||Vince Hodgson|
|Update Author||Matthew Perry|